Tuesday, March 22, 2011

time


I've been back from Argentina for six weeks and am about to turn twenty-nine in another two. It's gotten me thinking about time: how we use it, how we waste it, how there's never enough of it. All the big questions really come down to time in the end. If you're lucky enough to live in a free society, you get to choose how you spend your time and who you spend it with and these are the decisions that really make a life.

Working freelance has made me look at time differently than I did before. The idea of being in an office for a certain number of hours a day never did sit well with me and now that I've tasted the freedom of deciding how to allot the hours of my day, I don't think I could ever go back. It’s also made me look differently at the time I spend doing other things; it’s all my time in the end, am I making the best use of it? (Jen Dziura wrote a great post on this a while back for her career column for the Gloss: read it here).

My trip to Argentina was long enough to break me out of my routine and so since I've returned I've been establishing a new one. I've gotten back into tennis and salsa and I got so behind on my television watching while I was abroad that it didn't seem worth it to try and catch up once I got home. And now that the daylight is lasing longer, it's easier to go out into the world in the evening instead of holing up with yet another iteration of the Real Housewives.

Where does your time go?

2 comments:

  1. My kids. And my accumulating gray hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My time goes to a combination of work, fiance, step child, and like the above poster, I've been accumulating gray hairs since the age of 29 (I'm 34 now). Beyond that I have a deep love for shooting and processing black and white film photography, and am currently writing a graphic novel with an artist/friend. I still have not visited another country. I have some serious things going on in my life right now which prohibit me from leaving the country. Once this clears up I have explicit plans on visiting Venice, Italy on an annual basis.

    ReplyDelete