Wednesday, May 18, 2011

body politics



I wrote for the Gloss's Hunger Games week today about ways to love your body. Spoiler alert: none of these include diets or punitive pilates training (unless that's what you're into). I always try to come from a positive angle when discussing body stuff because there will sadly, never be a dearth of negative feedback for women about their bodies. This was especially evident this week; the Gloss collected myriad first person accounts and almost all of them were incredibly depressing stories of body loathing in the extreme. Who knew that women and their bodies were such a necessarily dark subject matter? I suppose I should have known, but it still pisses me off.

People who know me in real life know I'm always crusading to stop the body hate. And now I take it to the internets, hooray! So maybe I can help, even just a little.

Has it always been this way? Will it ever change?

No comments:

Post a Comment