Sunday, October 2, 2011

I am the captain of my soul




I finally got around to watching Invictus tonight. If you haven't seen it, go rent it immediately. I'm a sucker for any movie where sports serve as a metaphor for life and there are myriad reasons why this movie is amazing that I won't go into here, Matt Damon's thighs are the least of it.

The movie is named after the poem Invictus, a favorite of my father's and a piece of writing that gives me chills every time I read it, let alone hear it spoken in Morgan Freeman's unmistakably mellifluous voice. The movie depicts both Mandela and the rugby captain drawing strength from the poem in their time of need.

I was reminded of something essential about my craft that is easy to lose sight of in this fast-paced digital world of ours: that the right words, said in the right way can inspire greatness.

Was there a poem that carried you through?

No comments:

Post a Comment